The Organization defines entities at various levels within the institution (for example, department, responsibility center, campus). The organization hierarchy is frequently leveraged by Workflow and reporting.
Several fields on this document are self explanatory, following are fields that need additional explanation.
- Organization Manager Principal Name: Identifies the person who is responsible for the organization and is used for reporting purposes only. The Organization Manager UserID is completed by the system based on the Organization Manager Principal Name.
- Responsibility Center Code: Can be used to link organizations together across organizations and is used for reporting purposes only. Use the Responsibility Center Code document to add, edit or inactivate Responsibility Center Codes.
- Organization Type: Defines the type of organization, for example, Campus, Department, School, Division, Unoffical Departments. Use the Organization Type document to add, edit or inactivate Oraganization Types.
- Organization Type is used primarily for reporting purposes.
- The top level Organization is defined in paramater REPORT_TO_SELF. There can be only one Organization with this Organization Type, thus ensuring that there is a single Organization at the top of the hierarchy that all others report to.
- Organization Default Account Number: This field doesn't drive any functionality in the system. However, it is required unless excluded per parameter ACCOUNT_NOT_REQUIRED. Because Organizations are required in order to create accounts, you would populate this parameter with a value when setting up the system in order to avoid a chicken and egg situation.
- Organization Address fields: Used for reporting purposes only. City and State are populated based on the postal code entered.
- Organization Begin Date: Defines when the organization is available for use in the system, the date must be today or later. When creating a new organization, the Begin Date defaults to today's date.
- Organization End Date: Required when inactivating an organization. Organizations cannot be inactivated while there are active accounts or organizations that report to it.
- Reports to Chart and Organization: Defines the parent chart and organization for this organization. The organization hierarchy must follow a path that ends at the chart and organization represented by the organization with the type defined in parameter REPORT_TO_SELF.
Plant Accounts Tab
Plant accounts record special entries related to capitalization. These fields identify the plant accounts associated with this organization and with the campus. The Organization Plant account is usually associated with moveable equipment and the Campus Plant account is usually associated with non-moveable. If you don't have multiple campuses, or capitalize all assets to a single account, you can use the same account on both sides. The following batch jobs use these accounts when determining where to book capitalization and depreciation.
This section must be completed before the document is fully approved but can only be modified by users in roles with permissions 61-64, Modify Maintenance Document Field Organization organizationPlant*. Blanket approve is only be available to those who can also complete this tab.
Note: When the parameter ACCOUNTS_CAN_CROSS_CHARTS_IND parameter is set to N the system derives the chart from the account.