The Document Type document defines basic information about the document types that exist in Kuali Financials. It also defines document types specific to workflow and KIM. Many definitions of a document type not defined here are included in its workflow process definition and the data dictionary (a technical resource). The workflow process definition for a document type can be viewed using the Document Type lookup.
If you are trying to add a new document that can be accessed via the UI, it will require code. However, you can add document types that can be used in batch file uploads to identify transactions that come from another system, such as your payroll, student or fund raising software.
- Parent Name: Look up and return the parent name, if creating a document type to be used in batch processing, use doc type name: FSLO.
- Name: A four-character abbreviation. Note that while the name field can support longer names the Labor Ledger and General Ledger can only support document names up to four characters in length.
- Note: If you are creating a Doc Type that will post to the ledger you will also need to create a new offset defintion using the Offset Defintion table and you may also want to create a new Origination Code using the Origination Code table.
- Document Handler URL: No functional use. Leave blank.
- Notification From Address: No functional use. Leave blank.
Fields Available for Retroactive Application
These are Document Type definitions that can be edited retroactively if need be. This means that should you decide to change one of these values for a given document type it is possible to apply the change retroactively to any documents of this type already created. For example, if you decided to change the Label of the Budget Adjustment document type you could choose to have that label change apply to historical Budget Adjustment documents in your Kuali Financials system.
- Label: The long name of the Document Type.
- Description: An optional field to describe how the document type will be used.
- Help Definition URL: This field would be completed if a new transactional or maintenance document is being created. The help icon on the document will go to this URL. Not require for FSLO children.
- Document Search Help URL: The website where the help icon will go when using this document type on the Custom Document Search.
- Apply Label Change Retroactively: Check this box when updating an existing document type to update previosly created documents with the data in these tabs.