There two kinds of receiving documents—bulk and line item.
The Bulk Receiving document allows a central receiving organization or a departmental user to record the receipt of goods. It is used to record the number of cartons received, to allow you to add notes (regarding damage to cartons, etc.) and print a PDF receiving ticket. The document is simply a recording tool; it has no impact on line item receiving, the purchase order or payment request. It is not a substitute for line item receiving.
The Bulk Receiving document may be initiated against a Purchase Order document; however, a purchase order is not required. This flexibility gives the receiving group the option to create these documents without a purchase order number (i.e., for credit card orders).
Bulk Receiving Initiation
When you select Bulk Receiving, the system displays the initiation screen with its single tab—Bulk Receiving Initiation.
Click the Continue button.
The system displays the main screen with the other tabs in the Bulk Receiving document. The following screenshots are what you will see when a PO is entered, if you create a Bulk Receiving document without a PO, all fields are editable.
The Document Overview tab is standard except that the Description field in the Document Overview tab defaults to the purchase order number and vendor's name if a purchase order number has been entered; the Description value defaults to Not associated with a PO if no PO was entered.
No Purchase Order
The Vendor tab contains vendor details related to the items being received.
The Vendor fields on this screen are display-only if this document relates to a purchase order. If the document is not related to a PO, the fields are editable.
No Purchase Order
The Delivery tab contains delivery details related to the items being received. The Delivery fields on this screen are display-only if this document relates to a purchase order. If the document is not related to a PO, the fields are editable.
No Purchase Order
Printing Bulk Receiving Information
The Bulk Receiving document provides a print option after the Submit button has been selected. This option generates a PDF that includes delivery address, number of pieces, delivery instructions, requestor, requestor phone, institution contact, institution contact phone number, a place for a signature, and a blank space for a date to be added.
Line Item Receiving
- The Line Item Receiving (RCV) document is used to acknowledge the receipt of goods or services on purchase order line items for which a quantity is given. Line item receiving is used to record the quantities of items received, damaged, returned or unordered on a purchase order.
- When the purchase order routing is complete and the PO becomes fully approved, if the Receiving Required flag is not Yes, the attributes of the purchase order are compared to the Receiving Thresholds table. If one of the attributes on the purchase order matches the Thresholds table, then the Receiving Required flag is set to Yes. Amendments are also evaluated to determine whether the flag should be set if payment requests have not yet been processed against the purchase order.
- When receiving is required, the Receiving document is processed against a purchase order to satisfy confirmation of satisfactory receipt of the goods.
- When receiving is satisfied, the payment request is eligible for auto approval for payment regardless of dollar amount limits or other exclusions.
- When receiving required is Yes, the payment request document does not route for fiscal officer approval until sufficient quantity has been documented as received.
- Line Item Receiving documents may be created in two ways—by selecting the Line Item Receiving link or by viewing the purchase order and then clicking the Receiving button.
Line Item Receiving Initiation
When you first access the Line Item Receiving document, the system displays the Line Item Receiving Initiation tab. If you accessed the Line Item Receiving document from the Purchase Order, the Purchase Order number will default, if you accessed it from the Dashboard, you will need to enter the Purchase Order.
Click the Continue button to display tabs of the main Line Item Receiving document.
The display only fields on this tab fill in from the Purchase Order. The editable fields will fill in from the Initiation screen if completed and can be updated as needed.
The Items tab displays the lines of the PO that this receiving document relates to and provides a way to add lines for unordered items to the Receiving document. Record the quantity received for each line item. If known at this time, quantity returned and quantity damaged are also recorded; otherwise, this information can be added later by using the Receiving Correction document.
- If Qty Returned or Qty Damaged is > 0 on any line item, a note is added when the document is submitted.
- The fiscal officer receives an FYI from the submitted Receiving document if any item has damaged quantities and/or if any item's total received is more than was ordered.
If the Add Unordered Item button is clicked, a line is added where you can add information about the item that you have received that was not on the Purchase Order. If parameter UNORDERED_ITEM_WARNING_IND is set to Y, a warning is displayed. Select Yes button to continue. Select No to return to the document without adding a new line item.
- Addition Reason: The values in this dropdown are added and maintained via the Item Reason Added lookup and maintenance document.
When the document is submitted:
- If the PO is in a state to be amended, a Purchase Order Amendment document is created to add the item to the PO. The document routes to Purchasing Processor to complete the required details about the item, unit cost and accounting string.
- If the PO is not in a state to be amended, then the Line Item Receiving document routes to an Awaiting Purchase Order Open status and the approveLineItemReceivingJob batch job will push the document forward when the PO becomes eligible for an amendment.
When Purchasing completes the purchase order amendment, an FYI is sent to the fiscal officer.
The Delivery tab contains information about where goods ordered on this order should be delivered. It also displays delivery contact information and any special delivery instructions. All fields in this tab come from the purchase order's Delivery tab.
In the event the Line Item Receiving document needs to be corrected, you can click the Correction button on the Line Item Receiving document and a Correction Receiving document is created. The Vendor and Delivery tabs are not editable. Following is the Items tab, where you can correct the quantity received, returned and damaged.