- To set components based on functionality in order to see all parameters related to a particular function vs a job step.
- To document what a parameter really does, shorten names, delete those not being used or not working.
- Exclude component from the Parameter Name.
- Limit name to 35 characters
- Avoid using ENABLED, ALLOWED, DEFAULT, MAXIMUM, LIMIT in the Parameter Name. Instead use the description to explain the max, limit, etc.
- VALID parameters will not include valid, it will be assumed and INVALID will become BLOCK
- INVALID_DOCUMENTATION_LOCATIONS_BY_PAYMENT_REASON --> BLOCK_PAYMENT_REASON_LOCATIONS
- VALID_DOCUMENTATION_LOCATIONS_BY_PAYMENT_REASON --> PAYMENT_REASON_LOCATIONS
Year End Documents
- If there are year end versions of documents, don't use Document as the component, use the Document Type.
- Parameter name should end in IND
- Description starts: "When set to Y...", only spell out N when it's not obvious what the alternate value will do.
Object Code parameters
- Exclude Object or Object Code - the following are only associated with Object Codes, except for OBJECT_TYPE and OBJECT_CODE which of course needs Object.
- Drop _CODE when possible:
Fund/Sub Fund Parameters - Drop "GROUP"
- FUND_GROUPS --> FUNDS
- SUB_FUND_GROUPS --> SUB_FUNDS
Spell out what can be spelled out, use the following abbreviations consistently
- CG: Contracts & Grants
- CFDA: Catalog of Federal Assistance
- ICR: Indirect Cost Recovery
- APO: Automatic Purchase Order
- PDF: Portable Document Format (Adobe file extension)
- AP: Accounts Payable
Use full batch job names in the descriptions
- EMAIL_FROM: From email address used when...
- EMAIL_SUBJECT: Email subject used by the UpcomingMilestoneNotificationJob
- Remove the qualifier and use the outcome, for example,
- GLPE_WRITEOFF_OBJECT_CODE_BY_CHART --> OBJECT_CODES
- Use the description to explain the qualifier.
- Include the date format in the description.