- To set components based on functionality in order to see all parameters related to a particular function vs a job step.
- To reduce the number of parameters per document, primarily FP. During new implementations parameters are created as required by the implementer. Noting in the description that the Document version can be copied to create unique parameters for different document types.
- To document what a parameter really does, shorten names, delete those not being used or not working.
- Exclude component from the Parameter Name.
- Limit name to 35 characters
- Avoid using ENABLED, ALLOWED, DEFAULT, MAXIMUM, LIMIT in the Parameter Name. Instead use the description to explain the max, limit, etc.
- VALID parameters will not include valid, it will be assumed and INVALID will become BLOCK
- INVALID_DOCUMENTATION_LOCATIONS_BY_PAYMENT_REASON --> BLOCK_PAYMENT_REASON_LOCATIONS
- VALID_DOCUMENTATION_LOCATIONS_BY_PAYMENT_REASON --> PAYMENT_REASON_LOCATIONS
Year End Documents
- If there are year end versions of documents, don't use Document as the component, use the Document Type.
- Parameter name should end in IND
- Description starts: "When set to Y...", only spell out N when it's not obvious what the alternate value will do.
Object Code parameters
- Exclude Object or Object Code - the following are only associated with Object Codes, except for OBJECT_TYPE and OBJECT_CODE which of course needs Object.
- Drop _CODE when possible:
Fund/Sub Fund Parameters - Drop "GROUP"
- FUND_GROUPS --> FUNDS
- SUB_FUND_GROUPS --> SUB_FUNDS
Spell out what can be spelled out, use the following abbreviations consistently
- CG: Contracts & Grants
- CFDA: Catalog of Federal Assistance
- ICR: Indirect Cost Recovery
- APO: Automatic Purchase Order
- PDF: Portable Document Format (Adobe file extension)
- AP: Accounts Payable
Use full batch job names in the descriptions
- EMAIL_FROM: From email address used when...
- EMAIL_SUBJECT: Email subject used by the UpcomingMilestoneNotificationJob
- Remove the qualifier and use the outcome, for example,
- GLPE_WRITEOFF_OBJECT_CODE_BY_CHART --> OBJECT_CODES
- Use the description to explain the qualifier.
- Include the date format in the description.