The Chart is the top of the organizational hierarchy that defines an institutions Chart of Accounts.
- The top level chart reports to itself
- Charts can report to other charts
- Organizations report to Charts and other Organizations
- Accounts report to Organizations
Transactions are not normally posted to the top level chart. Object codes, consolidations and levels are maintained at the top level chart to facilitate financial statement and other reporting.
Charts can represent campuses, institutional administration or other separate entities where having separate reporting makes sense. Each Chart has it's own set of object codes, consolidations, levels, organizations and accounts. We recommend that each implementation of Kuali Financials has at least two charts. A reporting chart and a management chart. Having two charts also facilitates future growth if additional charts are needed.
The Chart also indicates who has management responsibilities for each chart and which object codes are used for system-generated accounting lines for the chart.
Chart Manager (role 37)
Users assigned to the Chart Manager role will receive workflow action requests for various documents see below.
University Chart Manager (role 53)
The University Chart Manger role derives its members from role 37 and will route to the users assigned to the top level chart.
In the delivered code, the Chart managers have permission to:
- Initiate the Global Object Code document which facilitates creating object codes across multiple charts.
- Initiate Organization Reversion and Organization Reversion Global documents to facilitate responsibility center management - reverting cash and/or budget.
- Maintain the Plant Account tab on the Organization document. The Plant Account tab maintains capitalization information for movable and non-movable equipment.
In the delivered code, both the Chart Manager and University Chart Manager receive approval requests for changes using the following documents:
- Account Delegate
- Account Delegate Global
- Account Delegate Model
- Account Global
- Object Code
- Object Code Global
- Sub-Object Code Global