The Accounting Lines for Capitalization Tab is available in the following documents. It opens and is populated when a capital object code, defined by parameter FINANCIAL_PROCESSING_CAPITAL_OBJECT_SUB_TYPES, is used an on Accounting line:
The following documents can only be used to Modify Assets:
- Advance Deposit
- Cash Receipt
- Credit Card Receipt
The following documents can be used to Create or Modify Assets:
- Distribution of Income/Expense
- General Error Correction
- Internal Billing
- Procurement Card
- Service Billing
- Year End General Error Correction
- Year End Distribution of Income/Expense
Accounting Line and Accounting Lines for Capitalization
Once an accounting line is added with a capital object code, the Accounting Lines for Capitalization opens with a Generate button.
After all accounting lines have been added, click the Generate button to display options for creating new assets or modifying existing assets. Accounting lines with capital asset object codes become read only. To make them editable, click the Delete button.
Accounting Lines for Capitalization tab field definitions
The capital asset accounting lines are copied into this tab. For the most part these are the same fields and values that were entered in the Accounting Lines tab, described in the Accounting Lines article. New fields are described below.
Display only. A system-generated number that controls the order in which lines are listed. Records in this tab are listed in the same order, and with the same numbers, as in the Accounting Lines tab.
Display only. Entries are Source and Target. Source represents the From or Income accounting line and Target represents the To or Expense accounting line. Single accounting line documents will display Source.
Once Select Line is checked and the Create Asset or Modify Asset button is checked, 100 will display in this field.
Check the box to select a capital line that should create or modify an asset(s). All lines will need to be selected eventually.
Select Amount Distribution Method
This field is used to determine how the accounting line should be distributed between assets. If you will be adding or modifying multiple assets and want to assign specific values to each asset, select Distribute cost by amount. If the amount should be distributed evenly among the assets, or there is only one asset, select Distribute cost evenly.
Once you've selected the accounting lines and the distribution method, click Create Asset or Modify Asset for each asset that you need to create or modify. An asset line will be added into the Create Capital Assets tab or the Modify Capital Assets tab.
Create Capital Assets tab
Distribute cost evenly
Distribute cost by amount
After you complete the details about the new asset, click Insert or Add Tag/Location to enter location data.
Modify Capital Assets tab
Distribute cost evenly
Distribute cost by amount
Redistribute Total Amount
As you select accounting lines, the system sets the System Control Amount to the sum of the lines selected. The system also sets the System Control Remainder Amount to the sum of these lines. Both fields are displayed in the Create and Modify Capital Assets tabs.
Once assets have been added, click Redistribute Total Amount. The System Control Remainder Amount will update. The document can be submitted when this amount is 0.00.
After the document is fully approved, the transaction will post to the General Ledger during the nightly batch cycle. The capital asset information will be extracted when the cabExtractJob is run. The assets can be created or payment applied by authorized users with the General Ledger Transactions menu link.
- Parameter FINANCIAL_PROCESSING_CAPITAL_OBJECT_SUB_TYPES determines when Asset information collection is required.
- After selecting accounting lines, click on either Create Asset or Modify Asset buttons to populate information in the appropriate tab. If a user has not selected at least one line before clicking Create Asset or Modify Asset buttons to populate information in the appropriate tab, the system displays the message: At least one accounting line should be selected to [modify|create] the capital asset.
- When a user deletes accounting lines in the Accounting Lines tab and then saves the document, the system updates the accounting lines in the Accounting Lines for Capitalization tab. If asset information has been added via the Create Asset or Modify Existing Asset tab, when the financial accounting line is deleted, the system deletes the information in the Create Asset or Modify Existing Asset tab, and unchecks the accounting lines for capitalization.
- When a user updates the accounting line in the Accounting Lines tab and clicks Refresh button, the system deletes the asset information and updates the Accounting Lines for Capitalization tab. If the user does not use Refresh button to update the accounting lines for capitalization but subsequently submits the document, the system displays a message, such as: Capital Accounting Lines total amount has not been completely distributed to Capital Assets. The user must either click Refresh button or delete the asset information lines, save and reload the document and re-enter the asset information.
- If the user selects multiple accounting lines for capitalization and if the selected accounting lines cross asset categories, the system displays this warning: Accounting lines have been selected where the object codes cross asset categories per parameter OBJECT_SUB_TYPE_GROUPS (module: KFS-CAM/component: AssetGlobal) . Do you want to continue? If the user clicks yes, the system continues processing. If the user clicks no, the system removes the asset information and de-selects the accounting lines.
- The accounting lines in the Capital Asset for Accounting Line sections of both the Create Capital Assets tab and the Modify Capital Assets tab must agree with the accounting lines in the Accounting Lines for Capitalization tab when submitted.
- When moving expenses between accounts, the Amt entry must be the sum of the target and source to be applied to the asset.
- The System Control Amount is used to ensure that asset amounts are not greater than the sum of the amounts selected for processing. The system automatically updates this field as lines are selected in the Accounting Lines for Capital Assets tab.
- As amounts are distributed to assets, the System Control Remainder Amount is reduced. The following rules pertain to System Control Remainder Amount
- The system sets the value to the sum of the accounting line amounts selected.
- The System Control Amount and System Control Remainder Amount in the Create Capital Assets tab are whole numbers (dollars and cents).
- If the user clicks Redistribute Total Amount button, the system reduces the System Control Remainder Amount value until it is reaches zero.
- When the System Control Remainder Amount equals zero, no more assets records can be inserted via the create asset and modify asset buttons.
- When the System Control Remainder Amount equals zero and all required asset fields have been completed, the document can be submitted.
- The following rules pertain to Distribution Method.
- A distribution method is required. (The default is Distribute cost evenly.)
- If the Distribute cost by amount option is selected, the user must enter the appropriate amount for each asset being updated or created.
- Clicking Redistribute Total Amount button causes the system to distribute the cost to the asset(s) and update the Amt column in the Capital Asset for Accounting Lines section of the Create Capital Assets or Modify Capital Assets tab. The following rules pertain to the Redistribute Total Amount action:
- When the user selects the Distribute cost evenly, the system divides the cost by the number of assets and assigns the amount.
- If the user submits the document before all accounting lines have been distributed, the system displays this message: Capital Accounting Lines total amount has not been completely distributed to Capital Assets.
- The system parameter VENDOR_REQUIRED_FOR_NON_MOVEABLE_ASSET_IND determines whether Vendor is required for non-moveable assets. If the parameter is set to N, no vendor is required in the Create Capital Assets tab, nor is it required on the Add Asset Global document, regardless of the asset type.
- System parameter MANUFACTURER_REQUIRED_FOR_NON_MOVEABLE_ASSET_IND determines whether manufacturer is required for non-moveable assets. If the parameter is set to N, no manufacturer is required on the Create Capital Assets tab, nor is it required on the Add Asset Global document. If the parameter value is N, no manufacture is required regardless of the asset type.
- The asset number entered in the Modify Capital Asset tab is validated.
- If the user submits the document before processing all lines in this tab, the system displays the message: All lines in the Accounting Lines for Capitalization tab must be processed before the document can be submitted.
- If the user submits a document in which one or more accounting lines in this tab do not have asset information associated with them, the system displays a message such as: Capital Accounting Lines with Sequence number: 1 Line Type: Source chart:7000 does not have any Capital Asset Information associated with it.
- If the user submits a document in which the account, sub account object code, sub-object code, project, org ref ID and amount in the Accounting Lines tab do not entirely agree with the information in the Accounting Lines for Capitalization tab, the system forces the user to click Refresh button in order to update the information in the Accounting Lines for Capitalization tab.
- The error correction option on the financial document will reverse asset amounts, remove the serial number, and tag number, and keep other asset information.